Back to School Dental Tips
Our long summer days have come to an end and school is in full swing. Getting back into a daily routine can some times be challenging, especially when juggling multiple family member's schedules. In order to stay on top of your oral health, we want to stress the importance of dental hygiene and eating a balanced, healthy diet. Here are five helpful tips to keep in mind:
1. Make sure that your child is brushing at least two times a day and encourage flossing once a day. This is especially important after eating a meal or a snack.
2. Packing a healthy meal for your child's lunch is also important. Many of our schools sell sugary snacks and drinks in the cafeteria. Consuming a higher diet of sugar, found in both snacks as well as drinks, can lead to a higher risk for cavities.
3. If your child does have a sugary drink, such as juice, soda, energy drinks, etc., have them rinse their mouth with water in between sips. This will help reduce the sugar/acidity levels in the oral cavity which can cause cavities.
4. Bringing treats to school may also be something that happens throughout the school year. If possible, try to avoid cookies, candy, and sticky sweets. Instead, opt for a cheese, fruit, or veggie tray.
5. Stay on top of your routine dental cleanings, exams, and preventive treatments. This can help decrease unexpected dental problems from happening in the future.
Our fall schedules are quickly filling up. Call us today to schedule your dental appointments to help keep your smile for a lifetime. We hope everyone has a great school year!